Today it’s no secret that without an online presence, your business might suffer. To connect with a wider customer base your business needs requires a robust website. In other words, it requires an effcient Website Development Services.
Your website shouldn’t be only about lively graphics and color schemes. To project you as a unique brand should be it’s larger purpose. So the important questions here are:
Who should you give the reins of your website development? Who should you trust to bring your new idea to life?
A full-fledged company or a freelancer?
A web design company provides 360 degree services, which is not the case if you work with a freelancer. However when it comes to costs incurred, going with a freelancer is a better option.
But it’s not that easy to make a choice. Each project is different and comes with a unique set of challenges. You need to have a good understanding of your requirements and scale to come to a decision.
This is why it’s important to discuss the pros and cons of both freelancers and web development companies. The purpose of this write-up is to give you a broader perspective, so that you can make a determined choice.
Pros of hiring a Web Development Company
1. It’s better suited for bigger Projects, and startups: If you are a young entrepreneur trying to build a robust website, you need a foolproof strategy to work with. A website development company has the necessary experience and expertise to help you with that. Besides developing your product, it can help you in analyzing your business and evaluating the idea behind your product. Moreover, it has an eclectic team of experts (designers, developers, managers, QAs etc.), who are assigned specific roles. So no matter how big or complex a project is, it can be efficiently handled.
2. It’s better equipped to handle cutting-edge technologies: Web design companies keep themselves updated on programming languages and tech trends. This helps them evolve rapidly, and they are able to come up with state-of-the-art solutions.
3. There is a well established Workflow: Such companies have well-established workflows in place. They are able to meet deadlines because of such workflows. On your part, you just need to communicate with project managers and go through the reports. If needed, you can ask for some adjustments and that’s it, you job will be done.
4. Reliable and trustworthy: Compared to freelancing, web development companies provide greater stability and much lesser risks, as they are legal entities. You can always obtain information on their financial records and overall reputation from an external database.
5. It cares about their Client’s Products: Whenever a web app development company takes up a project, it’s reputation is at stake. They have no other option but to develop a top-notch product. Unlike with freelancers, there are no unnecessary stoppages or delays. If a developer is not being productive, he or she is replaced with another, without interrupting the development process.
6. Post development Support: Once you hire a web development company, it’s a long term relationship then. Besides developing a product, they keep the product robust by providing regular updates and fixing the bugs. Supplementary functionalities are also added along the way.
Cons of Hiring a Web Development Company
1. Slightly higher Rates: This is probably the only disadvantage of hiring a web design company over a freelancer. Having said that, company rates vary with regions. For instance, in India, developing a robust website won’t cost you a fortune, as the rates are quite reasonable here.
It’s a simple equation between quality and cost. So before falling for cheaper prices, make sure your expectations are adjusted accordingly.
Pros of hiring a Freelancer
1. Cheaper Rates: In most cases, hiring freelancers is cheaper than hiring web development companies. With freelancers, you don’t have to bear any overhead costs like health insurance. Also, if you are working with a freelancer, you don’t have to bear the office-supply costs of a big company.
2. Flexible Working Schedules: Mostly, freelancers get the freedom to create their own working schedules. This allows them to work in a comfortable space and give their 100 percent. So it’s a win-win situation for you and the freelancer.
3. Easy to find & hire: Platforms like Hubstaff Talent, Upwork, Elance etc., have made the process of finding and hiring freelancers a lot easier. You can easily avail the portfolios of freelancers on platforms like Behance (for UI/UX designers) or GitHub (for developers). You can find an independent contractor to fulfill specific requirements of your project. The process is simple, identify the talent, agree to the terms, and get down to work.
4. Lesser Legalities to deal with: Full-time employees have more than a few rights under state and federal law, meaning there’s more potential for legal claims to be brought against you. On the other hand, freelancers work under an independent contract as a separate entity.
Cons of hiring a Freelancer
1. No strings attached: No matter what people say, freelancers have no strings attached to them. It shouldn’t surprise you if they suddenly disappear from the scene. You should communicate more with your freelancers, so that you can prepare a better work-schedule. Also, don’t forget to have a Plan B, as it’s always tricky when it comes to freelancers.
2. Trust issues: Maintaining confidentiality is a priority for most companies. You may ask freelancers to sign Non Disclosure Agreements (NDAs), but a trust deficit still remains. So even if you try to build that trust, certain risks are always present.
3. A Freelancer may not care about your product: Freelancers frequently jump from projects to projects. This is why they may fail to develop a sense of loyalty and may not be too concerned with the success of your business.
Conclusion: Who should you choose?
In the sphere of web development, complex applications are being built. So in that regard, your business needs the expertise of a larger team. Today, most companies have an agile approach towards development. They are very responsive to the adjustments made by their clients. So in terms of flexibility, both freelancers and web development companies are at par.
So it all boils down to asking the right questions, like does your website requires small changes only? If that’s the case, then a freelancer can do the job for you. In case you are looking for a complete overall of your website, then you don’t need to look beyond a web development company. Not only a full-fledged company will adhere to your deadlines, it will provide a long-term support too.
Cheaper budgets will always tempt you to hire freelancers, even for a bigger project. But this route involves far greater risks, and you should be aware of them. That said, the decision is yours. So don’t rush, be wise, and then decide.
Therefore, to efficiently build your website, reach out to a highly responsive Website Development Team.